Before HON. M.O. RABERA-PM COURT 8
September 20th, 2022 (Hearing): Today’s testimony was from P.C. Ahmed Mukhtar of the National Police Service, who was one of the officers at the arrest. In the course of his testimony, he contradicted previous evidence of KWS officers and the contents of his original written statement regarding the location of the recovered ivory and the number of suspects at the arrest.
July 6th, 2022 (Hearing): Testimony from one KWS officer outlining the circumstances of the arrest as detailed below.
- On January 1st, 2022, KWS officers received intelligence of two individuals attempting to sell ivory from a black motor vehicle.
- At approximately 2:30 pm, the vehicle was located in central Mombasa. KWS and NPS officers moved in to effect an arrest and in the process one of the accused escaped.
- Found inside the Toyota Aqua were seven cut pieces of elephant ivory weighing 24.5 kg.
- The tusk pieces were found hidden in a green manilla sack within another black bag.
- The first accused was arraigned on January 3rd.
- SEEJ-AFRICA was not aware of this prosecution until July 6th.
|FILE||CF E005/2022 Mombasa|
|SEIZURE DATE||January 1st, 2022|
|CONTRABAND SEIZED AND CIRCUMSTANCES||Intelligence had been received of 2 men selling ivory from a black car in central Mombasa. The vehicle was located and one of the men escaped, and has not been found to date.|
|LOCATION||Memon Villa, Mombasa CBD|
|POINT OF ORIGIN||Unknown|
|ACCUSED||Assad Mohammed Ahmed and Abdi Mohammed Ali|
|CHARGED||Dealing and Possession of Wildlife Trophies|
|COURT||Mombasa - Court 8|
|VALUE (CHARGE SHEET)||ksh 2.4 million|
|OTHER CONTRABAND||Not Applicable|
|TRANSPORT||Toyota Aqua KCZ 476P|
|ARRESTING AGENCY||KWS and NPS|
|INTEL_PERSONS OF INTEREST||Not Applicable|