Bajila Obed Kofa was responsible for Solio Conservancy security at the time of his murder. It is home to approximately 200 rhino's.
- On August 31st, 2021, KWS Company Commander, Bajila Obed Kofa, was murdered by an apparent ‘hit’ team.
- While driving home from dropping his daughter at Nkuene Girls High School in Meru County, one of the two Subaru Outback vehicles trailing him, pulled along side and open fired, spraying Obed Kofa and his vehicle with bullets.
- Some hours after the shooting, police gave a press conference referring to Kofa as criminal. It appears that he still had not been identified at that time.
- This story did not hit the general media until September 4th at which time KWS confirmed the identification of Bajila Kofa.
- Kofa was in charge of security at rhino conservancy, Solio Ranch. Solio Ranch has been subject to stories over the years of rhino poaching involving rogue KWS officers.
“They sprayed his vehicle with bullets, deflating the front tyre and injuring the decorated officer in the thigh and waist. He lost control of the vehicle and it landed in a ditch. Shortly after, one of his attackers walked over to the officer’s vehicle and shot him dead. When they were done, they picked up the spent cartridges and left.”
To date, the Kenya Wildlife Service have totally distanced themselves from this ‘execution’ of one of their own. The message that is clearly being sent is that Bajila Kofa was a criminal when in fact the opposite is likely to be true.
All initial indicators point to rogue agents of the government or KWS executing the ambush. Bajila Kofa was in charge of security at a large rhino conservancy where one rhino had been poached just weeks previous. He was eulogized by many at his funeral (including a number of his colleagues and the Deputy Director Security) as being a prayerful man, a man who loved his work, who was dedicated, diligent and highly trusted.
As all Kenyans know, the only way this murder will be properly investigated will be through an act of divine intervention or witchcraft.
And the primary message here from the executioners to officers of KWS: “Get in our way at your peril”.