You are currently viewing #141. CF 1649/2017 Kibera – Wanted by Interpol
Interpol Red Notice listing for Ahmed Mahabub Gedi aka Ahmed Mohamud Salah

#141. CF 1649/2017 Kibera – Wanted by Interpol

Ahmed Mohamud Salah aka Ahmed Mahubub Gedi is the seventh accused in this case (1649/2017 Kibera).  He was arrested 3-4 days after the initial six accused while trying to cross the Kenyan border at Namanga for Tanzania.  He was released on bail by the courts on July 7th under highly questionable circumstances.
By his own admission, Salah is of Somali origin and worked in Mozambique where he was a hawala agent and ran a travel business.  Relating to this investigation, he provided a five page statement to police investigators, where he admitted  to being the money connection between Abdinur Ibrahim Ali and Far East buyers.  He was not arrested on the day of the raid but did learn of it after he lost contact with Ibrahim Ali. Fearing for his arrest, he attempted to flee Kenya and return to Mozambique.
Salah was detained at the Namanga border crossing sometime between June 30th and July 1st.  There are no statements from Immigration as to his arrest but it is indicated that his detainment was due to the belief that his travel documents were not genuine.  Subsequently, on the morning of July 1st, KWS officers went to Namanga, picked up Salah, and returned him to Nairobi. Salah was booked in at Muthaiga Police Station at 18:31hrs for the charges relating to dealing with wildlife trophies as well as being in Kenya illegally.  He was lodged in cells.
The following day (July 2), officers of SCPU, collected Salah from Muthaiga Police Station and took him to their office for interrogation.  It is here that he provided a five page statement admitting to his involvement, detailing amounts of money involved and contact persons in Thailand.  He was booked at Kilimani station that night.
Salah was arraigned on July 3rd.  From this point, there is minimal information relating to his release apart from the fact that we know he paid the courts 1 million shillings on the afternoon of July 7th as part of his bail release. He was never seen in court again.
On the next two court appearances when Salah did not appear, his advocate said he was sick and needed bed rest.  A hospital where it was reported he had received treatment was even mentioned (no records were ever found to confirm this). Salah’s sureties even appeared in court and contrary to counsel, stated that they had not heard he was sick and had no idea where he was.
On August 23rd, 2017, Chief Magistrate Boke issued a warrant for Salah’s arrest.  At that time, investigator’s believed him to be in Dadaab refugee camp
Salah’s is now on the Interpol Red Notice (wanted list) as Ahmed Mahabub Gedi without a photo. His full physical description as listed: 1.64 metres in height with black hair.
Gedi arrest warrant
Gedi cash bail receipt for One Million shillings (USD $10,000)

Leave a Reply