Ivory Found in Vehicle with Hidden Compartment
- On October 22, 2020, Cameroon officials stopped a vehicle 30 kms north of the Gabon border found to be carrying 675 kg of ivory.
- The vehicle was reported as a van or a truck.
- Four persons were arrested.
- Cameroon is no stranger to significant ivory seizures, the last one being in April 2018 when 1000 kg of ivory and 500 kg of pangolin scales were seized in Douala. Three Chinese nationals were arrested at that time.
- The likelihood is high that the ivory was destined for shipment from the port of Lagos, Nigeria, located approximately 1500 kms further northwest.