MCCR/E203/2026 Mombasa Court 2
SYNOPSIS INITIAL ARREST
It has been just over 11 years since Mombasa police seized 2152 kg of ivory, attributed at the time to Feisal Mohamed Ali, who was arrested in Tanzania six months later. In June 2014, Mohamed Ali was recognized as an ivory trafficking logistician, transporting tonnes of ivory from Tanzania and Uganda to Mombasa port. He was reportedly working for the Akasha brothers drug cartel and more specifically half brother, Mohamed Tenge. Feisal’s corrupted initial trial, his conviction, and eventual acquittal on appeal was stuff from which movies could be made.
On August 26th, 2025, seemingly a fallen star, Mohamed Ali, now 58 yrs, was arrested as a wildlife trophy street peddler by undercover Kenya Wildlife Service ‘buyers’. He, with another not so spring chicken, 78 year old Mohamed Kontoma, were arrested in the process of selling 2 rhino horn weighing 2.2kg. They were arrested in the Mama Ngina waterfront area of Mombasa, in view of the harbour and the 24/7 ferries crossing to Likoni.
Mohamed Ali and Kontoma were atypically taken to Nairobi (a one hour flight or eight hour drive) where they faced Senior Principal Magistrate Thuku the next morning as the ODPP prosecutor applied to have them kept in custody while further investigation was conducted. The application was successful.
As of October 8th, 2025, both accused (Feisal now identifying as Feiswal Mohamed Ali) have pleaded not guilty to charges of Possession and Dealing in Wildlife Trophies.
This time the Kenya Wildlife Service is at the helm of the investigation. Hopefully, a cleaner and more successful result can be attained.
Feiswal Mohamed Ali aka Feisal Mohamed aka Feisal Shahbal aka Feisal Mohamed Ali Omar (as per charge sheet) appeared in Mombasa Court Two today with his co-accused, Mohammed Hassan Kontoma, for an administrative mention. Senior Principal Magistrate Eric Otieno Wambo set a three day trial beginning next week on April 7th, 2026, despite the objections of Mohamed Ali’s counsel, Jared Magolo. The scheduled hearing, however, is likely to be adjourned. The two accused are charged with dealing in wildlife trophies in that on August 25th of last year, they were found attempting to sell two rhino horns in Mombasa.
The two accused were, on arrest, atypically taken by Kenya Wildlife Service officers from Mombasa to the small Nairobi court located at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport for arraignment. Since that time, however, the file was transferred to Mombasa Court, the jurisdiction in which the offence took place.
#29: April 9th, 2026 (Hearing): Today’s hearing was again adjourned due to defence counsel being unwell. The court has set the next dates for hearing to June 17th and 18th.
Defence counsel did make an application for the 2nd accused to be allowed to travel to Nairobi from April 10th to 13th. Both accused are not permitted to be outside of Mombasa without informing the court.
The court allowed the suspect to travel.
*******************
April 8th, 2026 (Hearing): While this date is on efiling as having been adjourned, the matter did not take place.
*******************
#28: April 7th, 2026 (Hearing): Today’s scheduled hearing was adjourned to Thursday April 9th as Mr. Magolo was unwell.
*******************
#27: April 2nd, 2026 (Mention): This case will proceed for hearing for 3 days as scheduled from April 7th to 9th. This despite the lawyers for both accused having made application for ew hearing dates.
Advocate Jared Magolo told Mombasa Magistrate Erick Wambayo that he had just received the file from the two Nairobi lawyers who had previously represented suspects, and he needed time to go through the file. Magolo had other matters in other courts on the scheduled hearing dates.
The magistrate declined the application but told Magolo he would hear the case at 3pm on both dates when the lawyer was through with other matters in other courts.
*******************
#04: September 15th, 2025 (Plea): Both accused arraigned before Senior Principal Magistrate Njeri Thuku under MCCR E149/25 Republic vs Feiswal Ali and Mohammed Kontoma and Feiswal Ali.
#01: August 27th, 2025 (Hearing of Applications): Both accused presented before Senior Principal Magistrate Njeri Thuku under Miscellaneous Application E187/25 Republic vs Mohammed Kontoma and Feiswal Ali.
More on this case can be read here:
And his previous conviction and appeal:
https://www.seej-africa.org/2018/08/17/the-appeal-acquittal-of-feisal-mohamed/
